In most cases, loss of fat is a positive event. When it comes to the face, however, facial volume is one of the hallmarks of youth. When we begin to lose our facial contours, age starts to show in the form of sunken cheeks and a drawn appearance. Thankfully, facial fillers are an easy and virtually painless way to correct loss of facial volume, add structure, plump lips, and fill in lines and wrinkles.
What are facial fillers?
As the skin ages, it begins to sag and wrinkle. Dermal fillers can fill these hollows and wrinkles and significantly improve your look. The most commonly-injected fillers are made from several substances including:
- Hyaluronic acid: This is a substance naturally present in our bodies. It is present in the eyes, joints, and skin. Hyaluronic acid attracts water to the skin, naturally hydrated and plumping the area.
- Calcium hydroxyapatite: this is a substance naturally found in our bones. It creates heavy dermal fillers that are used to support and lift the structure of the face. It also triggers natural collagen production for long-term improvements.
- Poly-L-lactic acid: A biocompatible, biodegradable synthetic polymer that enhances volume and structure.
What can dermal fillers do for me?
Dermal fillers can increase the youthful contours of the face in several ways:
- Plumping lips
- Restore volume to sunken cheeks and temples
- Restore volume to the lines around the mouth such as marionette lines
- Fill in scars
- Provide an overall lift to the face to reduce sagging skin
Which filler is right for me?
Dr. Ardesh will discuss the areas of your face you feel needs enhancement. He can then tell you exactly which filler he feels will be the most effective for your particular concerns. Some of the most widely used fillers include: